Sunday, May 3, 2009

On Traveling to Haiti and other related things #1

#One
I was searched at the airport in Jacksonville.

Something in my luggage caused them to become suspicious. I was pulled aside and both my carry-on suitcase and my backpack were searched very thoroughly. Every pocket was opened and a wand with some kind of chemical sensor on the end was pushed inside and swiped around. I didn’t know what he was looking for. I didn’t really care. I knew there was nothing in there that shouldn’t be. He too would know soon enough.

After a few minutes of searching he handed me my bags and I politely thanked him. For what? I’m not sure; perhaps for saving the world from one more crazy, lunatic, diabetic, missionary with Mentos in her bag. The world appreciates the sacrifice, I can assure you.

All joking aside, I know he was doing his job. It was nothing personal. He was polite and professional. And in case I forgot to mention, thorough. I mostly just laughed. But not until after I walked away

No comments: