Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Year in Pictures #13

Sorry I forgot to post yesterday.  I think I was really busy.  I feel like I was anyway.  Yesterday was one of those days that you look back and think, ‘Huh, I don’t feel like I ever stopped going but I don’t feel like I got anything accomplished.”    Se lavie.

bus

I snapped this photo on a trip to Port au Prince last fall.  It’s not terribly artistic but I was snapping from a moving vehicle so it’s a bit difficult to get great shots that way.  Here is an example of public transportation; you can take a bus such as this from Port to Cayes (or beyond) and back.  You’ll see them loaded down with almost anything you can imagine.  People stack mattresses on top of them, tie sacks of charcoal, and even sit on top (often atop these others things).  And these buses move fast.  Sometimes it would seem they come around corners on 2 wheels.  Before I realized what was happening with the earthquake, I thought one of these had rounded the corner and was passing the church. Seriously.  I wouldn’t kid about something like that.

But, they’re fun and colorful and you’ll see any variety of decorations from rappers and singers, and bible verses, to scantily clad women (sometimes painted underneath the Bible verses) and I’ve even seen one with Sylvester Stalone, as Rambo, painted on the back. 

No comments: