Thursday, January 21, 2010

Random bits of news.

Today I heard most of the grocery stores were open, although still with limited hours, and apparently they still had food on their shelves.  They must stock pile it somewhere and say they’re out when they really mean, we’re just not putting any more on the shelves today.  But I don’t really know.  I didn’t see the stores.  I do know that Sam was able to find some more rice and beans; I think he may have found them around here instead of having to go all the way into town.

Yesterday DSC_0031afternoon I visited one of the tent cities set up down town at the soccer field.  There is apparently a busier one, but this one maybe have had 25-30 tents.  There were a few kids sittings around and adults scattered in various locations around the field.  We had received some tents that had been to delivered on one of the relief flights and one of our guys delivered them downtown.  We weren’t sure to which location he had delivered them but we weren’t too far from that particular area so we dropped by.  The soccer field is actually enclosed and they had security guarding the gates.  It was quite peaceful and quiet inside.  We didn’t stay long and only had a brief chance to visit with one of the ladies sitting over with the kids.  Her name was Leonette.  She is actually from Cayes and although her house hadn’t collapsed , she felt unsafe inside because it was old and she was afraid it had been damaged.  So until she could figure out what to do, she was staying in the tent city.  She had 13 kids there with her.  Some of them may have been her grand kids.  The one she was holding was her grandson so I assume there may have been more. 

I also met Charlie. DSC_0022 He was also from Cayes.  He was probably about 20.  He asked me if I would take his picture.  Then he told me loved me.  Then asked me for my number so that he could call me so I could give him the picture I had just taken it.  It was very special to him.  Apparently so was I.  I was disinclined to give him my number.  

There is apparently some gas in town, too.  No one knows if we’ve gotten a new shipment or if it just means they had electricity and had opened up the pumps.  There wasn’t even a line from what we heard.  We have also been told there is a station on the road to Port that has gas and is distributing it like normal.  So if we need to go to Port in the near future to deliver supplies, pick up teams, etc. we have an opportunity to get gas.  God is providing in the midst of what seemed impossible. 

I was almost stuck with shampoo in my hair today.  I had just lathered up when the water went out.  It came back on just enough to get my hair rinsed.  There is a leak in the cistern that supplies my house and the others on this hill with water.  We’ve basically been without water all day. There is the slighest trickle that comes out when you turn the faucet on, but its not enough to “live off”.   That means carting water in (ideally from the buckets we leave out to collect rainwater and not from the river.  OK,  I don’t think we’d have to do that.  We’d just borrow it from the other hill) to shower and flush.  Not sure how long the problem will persist.  I think the faucet outside works too.  Not sure why it works and nothing works inside but hey, its better than not having any water at all. 

We still need a lot of Doctors and Nurses to come to Haiti.  The problems is massive.  Patients are still waiting to be seen a week and a half after the quake.

I found out that Sonita and Charlament’s older sister died in the quake. 

A large shipment of food was delivered to Cayes on a relief flight today. 

People in Port au Prince are singing.  Gladys, one of the missionaries who lives in this area said she was in Port the night after the quake happened.  She was sleeping in the streets with everyone else.  When the second quake occurred, around midnight she said you could hear a song rising from all corners of the city.  Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, the saved a wretch like me, I once was lost, but now I’m found.  Was blind but now I see…

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

3 comments:

Katy said...

You SOOOO should have given him your number!!! (j/k) Thanks for the constant updates and details - I love hearing about your daily adventures!! xoxo luvya

the crazy armstrongs said...

I opened up my devotion this morning "after the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 1kings 19:12
oh the song of Amazing Grace is God's gentle whisper .. letting everyone know he is all around you! love you girl .. I love reading and praying for you! hang in there!

Erin K. said...

Amazing! (Yes, pun intended.) So glad that God is providing your needs, even if it is a day at a time. (Just like manna in the wilderness!) Today I will be praying for doctors and nurses and medical supplies to come quickly, and that the Lord would sustain those who need treatment. Lord, send your angels! (Both natural and supernatural!)