Monday, April 5, 2010

A Year in Pictures #5

DSC_0655

While this doesn’t look very “Haitian”, in fact it is because Coca-Cola (tm) is bottled in Haiti and distributed through out the country (…and because I’ve been looking for an excuse to post this photo because I just happen to like it…).  Being diabetic, I can’t drink coke.  I don’t even like it.  When I first arrived canned Diet Coke was only available in the large grocery stores in Port so when anyone would take a trip in, anyone else who drank Diet Coke would put in an order for a case (or cases) and hoped it would last until the next trip into Port.  In a real life example of supply and demand, there were enough of us here in Cayes asking our local store (read: the larger “bourgeoisie grocery store”) owners when they were getting Diet Coke.  By mid-summer, Diet Coke was a staple in two of the three stores we frequent.  After the earthquake, it took a couple months but it seems Diet Coke is making its way back into the economy.  My most recent purchase was made at another of our frequented stores, which has just made Diet Coke available for the first time.  There is also a much smaller store in Simon (the village just below the Mission Center) and the owner’s wife told me just the other day she’s waiting on a delivery of Diet Coke from Miami. 

No comments: